8:00 – 10:00 a.m. 6th grade parents and students MEET THE TEACHER and complete continuing enrollment forms, pick up supplies if you have pre-ordered school supplies, pay for lunches, and purchase spiritwear. This will all take place in the north end of our building – cafeteria. Students come at this time to MEET THE TEACHER. 6th grade staff should be in cafeteria.
1:00 – 3:00 p.m. 5th grade parents and students MEET THE TEACHER and complete continuing enrollment forms, pick up supplies if you have pre-ordered school supplies, pay for lunches, and purchase spiritwear. This will all take place in the north end of our building – cafeteria. Students come at this time to MEET THE TEACHER. 5th grade staff should be in the cafeteria.
5:00 – 6:00 p.m. 6th grade Back to School Night (PARENTS ONLY) There will be no supervision for children available.
6:30 – 7:30 p.m. 5th grade Back to School Night (PARENTS ONLY) There will be no supervision for children available.
Remember, parking is always an issue. We apologize in advance for this inconvenience. We are trying as best we can to stagger our times with West Elementary to assist with the parking issues as much as we possibly can.
Find “Bus Stop Information” on the main Jenks Public Schools website page. Type in student’s grade and home address and the software will list pertinent information. BRING BUS NUMBER WITH YOU TO COMPLETE PAPERWORK ON August 14, 2012.
2) SCHOOL SUPPLIES: School supply lists are on the web.
3) SCHOOL STARTS: THURSDAY, AUGUST 16 7:50 – 2:30
Half day absent is arriving after 8:31for morning block.
Half day absent is leaving at 11:00 for the afternoon block.
4) Visitors: Any person entering the school not having a Jenks ID will be asked to check in at the office and receive a visitor’s badge. Please make sure you bring your driver’s license with you. At the intermediate level, parents are asked to leave items such as forgotten books and homework at the office for office staff to deliver rather than have the parent take the item to his child’s class.
5) Student ID: We do NOT require a student ID badge at the intermediate level. This begins at Middle School.
6) Parking: All parents must park in a parking space in the front oval. The north oval is reserved for buses and we lock those doors after the buses arrive. Parents may not park around the oval for obvious safety reasons. If your child is a car rider, please help us by doing the following. Form one line in the oval for drop off or pick up. The first car pulls forward to the stop sign. All other cars follow. When your car is next to the awning – unload. This process allows about 12 students to exit the car simultaneously and take the sidewalk inside. THEN, as directed by our staff, we would appreciate the next available car (after the 12 have unloaded) to move all the way forward to the stop sign and we can repeat the process of unloading 12 more cars at once. PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH US. THIS IS FAST IF EVERYONE FOLLOWS DIRECTIONS! Please do not form a double line or unload through the parked cars. This is not safe for our students – your children.
7) School Day: Students must be in their seats at 7:50 and are dismissed at 2:30. Students may not arrive earlier than 7:30 a.m. Traffic is not an excused tardy so make allowances if there is construction in your area.
8) Absences and Appointments: Please schedule appointments after 2:30 when possible. At this age, missing even an hour of school is missing a lot! If your child must be absent, call Bonnie Rosebrook at 299-4415 ex. 2900.
9) Agenda: Your child must purchase an agenda in our office if you did not do so at Meet the Teacher. The cost is $5.00.
10) Cafeteria Accounts: Your child retains his ID number through 12th grade. So, he will use his same ID number at JWI. Money can be added to your child’s account at any time. It is helpful if the child gives the check to the cafeteria manager (Teresa Totty) in the morning NOT at lunch time. As you can imagine, the staff is trying to process hundreds of students through the lunch lines at lunch time. So, remind your child to take care of this before school begins or to ask permission from his homeroom teacher to take it to the cafeteria sometime in the morning.
11) Free and Reduced Lunch: Please make sure you turn in these forms a.s.a.p. You should have received one at the Meet the Teacher/Back to School Night meeting. Call Teresa Totty at 299-4415 ex.2970 for more information.
12) Handbooks: It is vital that you spend some time reviewing the student handbook with your child. Dress code, cell phones and behavior expectations seem to be popular pages, but take time to review all sections. These are now on the web. We no longer distribute paper copies of the handbook.
In the handbook you will find that cell phone usage is not permitted during school hours. “During school hours” is defined at WI as follows: Once students exit the bus or personal car in the morning they should have their cell phones off and stored in backpacks until they are on the bus or in a personal vehicle in the afternoon. In other words, once a student exits a vehicle or bus, the phone should be off and in backpacks. The phone should not be on or out until the child is on the school bus or in a personal car.
There will also be a reference to birthday celebrations. In an effort to maintain as much instructional time as possible, WI will not have “birthday bashes” in the classroom. If a family member wants to bring a treat for the entire team (check with teachers for exact amount), the family member may check in at lobby guard and distribute the treat during the student’s lunch/recess time. NO TREATS MAY BE ‘DROPPED OFF’ FOR TEACHERS OR STUDENTS TO DISTRIBUTE. The family member must attend the lunch recess time on the designated date (see below) and distribute to the students. The scheduled dates are as follows and we cannot make exceptions. The dates are as follows:
Summer, September and October Birthdays – October 26 during lunch/recess
November, December and January Birthdays – January 25 during lunch/recess
February, March, April and May Birthdays – April 26 during lunch/recess
13) P.E.: PE class does NOT require a uniform or a change of shoes. Mr. Skotarek will review the expected dress and shoe attire when your child attends his first PE class.
14) Specials: 5th graders attend art, music, Spanish, and P.E. 6th graders have the option of orchestra, band, or vocal music/P.E. Chinese or Spanish is also offered at 6th grade. Art for 6th is scheduled with the art teacher.
15) Communication: Communication between school and home is vital. Please make sure you update the office and teacher with new phone numbers, cell numbers, and email.
16) Leadership Opportunities: We offer many opportunities for students to be leaders at WI. Your child will be receiving information in late August about these positions. Students will write resumes to apply for these positions.
17) Collaboration Days: These are the dates school will start later for students: